Monday, October 13, 2014

Mid-Trimester Reflection

Well, I am really enjoying this class. I analyzed films before when I watched them, but now, I feel like I have at least a solid background for picking out the key elements of films with some skill. I have things I love to notice, like symbolism and character development, but I am able to do these things more fully now. I have learned several new things to observe, such as circular story (a new favorite) and externally/internally believable truths.
When I watch television or movies (basically, when I watch Netflix) I am constantly looking for reoccurring elements and pieces of cinematic gems hidden among the plot lines. I was watching Being Human yesterday, and I saw an image from the first episode and I was thinking, "Oh! Is this a circular story?" then I realized, no it wasn't because it was from a different episode, which would make it more of a reoccurring image, but then The men basically had the same conversation as in the start of the episode, but now it was opposite. I was so excited, because not only was it heavily significant to the character development of both men, but it was also a circular story and the role-reversal was just the cherry on my cupcake. I was so happy.
Although I believe myself to be an open minded person as far as my viewing tastes, at the start of this class I had a thing against Westerns and scary sorts of movies. I refused to watch them. In fact, when we read our chapter on being open-minded about film, I joked to my mother that I should start watching Westerns. Now, I do feel a lot more inclined to give the two genres a chance, even looking online for the most classic frightening films. I have some new tastes to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment